The Most Significant Project Management Trends
There’s a definition and some classical rules about what project management is, how everything works and what rules should be followed to ensure the project’s success. But the reality of leading business and environment in which the projects are implemented change really fast. That’s why there are always several new trends which are actual in recent years. Here are some of them:
- A new explanation of the triple constraint. In fact, it doesn’t explain the project success enough. For instance, if the project was finished in time and the budget was not exceeded, but the project result doesn’t bring the value that was expected, it cannot be considered successful. This requires developing new skills and learning how to manage the portfolio more successfully from the project manager.
- The educational system becomes more projects oriented. Various projects students have to complete within their four years of study let them learn faster using the multi-discipline subjects. And by the finishing their study, they already have some kind of a project portfolio.
- Project management offices will be transformed into the profit centres. PMO’s will offer consulting services to business units and will be more focused on ‘outside-in’ perspective. Thus, they should focus on the outcome delivered to the clients.
- Rolling-Wave planning. This type of planning means planning the project in phases, not completing the whole planning cycle before the project has started. The concept is based on that too much planning at the beginning is a waste of time and the planning should be done as the project is already being worked at in order to evaluate the situation fully and make necessary corrections.
- Client-oriented project management. Today the project success is defined depending on the value it brings to the customer. The stakeholders decide what this value means, and that’s why this system is called customer-centric. You can optimize all available resources, but customer satisfaction should be your priority.