The Vision Statement
A company’s vision statement outlines what the company wants to be in the future. It communicates the purpose and values of the organization. It gives strategic direction and shapes customers’ understanding of why they should work with the organization. A good vision statement is powerful and realizable, but at the same time challenging.
Here are some elements that you might use in your company’s vision statement
- Scope of your business (e.g. focus areas, customers, products, types of services, technologies, materials)
- Growth or size (e.g. revenues, employees, customers)
- Positioning against competition
- Competitive advantages (e.g. technology, know-how, speed)
- Image or relationships with your stakeholders
- Organizational issues (e.g. structure, resources, knowledge, skills, culture)
How well do you think these construction companies have succeeded in communicating their vision?
“To be the world’s premier engineering, construction, and project management company.
– Customers and partners will see us as integral to their success. We will anticipate their needs and deliver on every commitment we make.
– People will be proud to work at Bechtel. We will create opportunities to achieve the extraordinary, and we will reward success.
– Communities will regard us as responsible—and responsive. We will integrate global and local perspectives, promote sound management of resources, and contribute to a better quality of life.”
“Bowman Construction Company, Inc. is not just a construction company. We are a dedicated team striving to bring growth to our community, helping to maintain existing companies and assist our clients in making their dreams become a reality.”
Bowman Construction Company
” To be a company that is in a position to take up any challenge in the infrastructure industry. To be a role model for other upcoming companies in the similar sector.”
Cherian Varkey Construction Co. Pvt. Ltd.
“Our vision is to be the world’s pre-eminent designer/builder of unique, architectural memorial structures.”
Milne Construction Co
“NCC’s vision is to be the leading company in the development and construction of future environments for working, living and communication.”
“We aspire to be recognized as the contractor of choice for large, complex and demanding construction projects in North Africa and the Middle East. We are working to become a world leader in the production of nitrogen-based fertilizers. We are committed to delivering quality work and products, safely and on schedule. A company that our clients want work with, our customers can rely on and our employees are proud to work for. A company with an open mind ready to embrace new opportunities and driven to deliver exceptional value.”
“To be the most sought-after contractor for difficult projects in which meeting the challenges of execution, safety, and schedule set us apart from our competition.”
Pate Construction Co, Inc.
“Shook is committed to being a construction contractor that is known externally for quality, integrity and resourcefulness, and internally for profitability and employee satisfaction.”
“Skanska’s vision is to be a leader in its home markets – the customer’s first choice – in construction and project development.”
“TAV Construction aims to become a global player in the sector, signing under the prestigious projects for tomorrow’s world of business, harmonizing innovative and progressive technology with its experience, excellence and high-caliber work.”
“To continue being an efficient General Contractor working in an ethical and balanced manner to earn the privilege of being the General Contractor of choice.”
“The best people providing the best construction solutions.”
Underground Construction Co., Inc
Photo: ©2014 Aarni Heiskanen
Aarni Heiskanen has co-written a book with more examples on vision statements and case studies on envisioning. Buy it as an ebook!
If you like my blog and podcast, subscribe to my monthly newsletter!